Five veteran journalists have been named the most current recipients of the McGraw Fellowship for Company Journalism. Each individual of the winning initiatives will receive a grant of up to $15,000.
The new McGraw Fellows will discover topics ranging from the role of non-public equity in health care and the upcoming of oil enhancement in Alaska, to the effects of gentrification on the extensive-standing Haitian-American community in Florida.
The McGraw Fellowships, an initiative of the Harold W. McGraw, Jr. Center for Small business Journalism at the Craig Newmark Graduate School of Journalism at the Town University of New York, had been produced in 2014 to guidance bold protection of crucial issues associated to the worldwide financial system, finance and business. The Fellowships – awarded two times a 12 months – enable seasoned journalists to create deeply documented investigative or business tales.
The new McGraw Fellows for Summer time ’22 are:
- Dieu-Nalio Chery: A freelance Haitian photojournalist now primarily based in New York City, Chery strategies to doc the gentrification getting place in Florida’s Very little Haiti community and the problems confronted by neighborhood users performing to protect the exclusive lifestyle that has created there. By way of a photograph essay with comprehensive textual content, he will look at the economic and racial forces that are driving this gentrification.
Chery commenced his journalism career in 2004 as a freelance news photographer with regional agency Alerte Haiti before becoming a member of the Involved Press as a photojournalist in 2010. A finalist for the 2020 Pulitzer Prize in breaking information pictures, Chery was awarded the Robert Capa Gold Medal from the Abroad Push Club in 2019 for his pictures masking the political crisis, violent upheaval, and human rights abuses in Haiti. Chery’s function has also been regarded by Photos of the Yr Worldwide, Ideal of Photojournalism, and the Atlanta Photojournalism seminar. He was a Magnum Basis Human Rights fellow in 2015. Lots of of his illustrations or photos have turn into iconic information of Haiti in the 21st century. He presently will work as a freelance photographer for The New York Situations, Reuters, and The Linked Push.
- Nithin Coca: An impartial Indian-American journalist who splits his time involving Tokyo and Oakland, CA, Coca will report on the potential social and environmental impacts of rising need for significant-chance tropical substances utilised in plant-dependent meat products and solutions.
Coca focuses on longform and investigative reporting on cross-border problems, especially in Asia. He has done in-depth reporting on local weather, natural environment, and offer chains throughout the region for outlets including Financial Situations, Mongabay, Ensia, Yale E360, China Dialogue, The Nation and Engadget. Coca gained his BA in Interaction from the College of Southern California, and a Masters in Intercontinental Affairs from Columbia College.
- Lois Parshley: A freelance investigative journalist, Parshley will explore the upcoming of American oil and gas enhancement and its regulation in Alaska.
Parshley’s broad-ranging reporting on science and geopolitics has been revealed in The New York Situations, Harper’s Magazine, The Atlantic, National Geographic, Bloomberg Businessweek, and Wired, among other folks. She was a finalist in 2022 for the American Modern society of Magazine Editors’ Community Fascination award and has received many other awards for her get the job done, together with the Mirror Award for excellence in media business reporting, and the Bricker Award for Science Producing in Medicine for her career-lengthy coverage of wellness inequities.
- Anita Raghavan: A freelance fiscal journalist, Raghavan will report on the intersection of private equity and healthcare.
A previous European bureau main for Forbes whose work has appeared in The New York Instances, The Facts, The Los Angeles Instances, HuffPost and CNN.com, Raghavan also put in almost two decades at The Wall Road Journal, exactly where she won awards from the Abroad Push Club and the New York Press Club for her small business reporting. She is the creator of a critically-acclaimed ebook, “The Billionaire’s Apprentice: The Rise of the Indian-American Elite and the Tumble of the Galleon Hedge Fund,” which chronicles the slide of the three-time chairman of consulting company McKinsey & Co. pursuing charges of insider buying and selling. The e book was named a person of the “100 Notable Publications of 2013” by The New York Occasions.
- Dan Weissmann: The founder and host of An Arm and a Leg, a popular podcast about the value of health and fitness treatment manufactured in partnership with Kaiser Wellness News, Weissmann will investigate the gamers powering the wave of lawsuits that hospitals have filed from indigent sufferers more than unpaid charges.
Prior to creating An Arm and a Leg in 2018, Weissmann was a personnel reporter for public radio’s Marketplace and Chicago’s WBEZ. His reporting has appeared on World Revenue, Reveal, 99 Percent Invisible, Code Switch, Latino Usa, and NPR’s information shows Morning Edition and All Points Viewed as.
About 90 journalists doing the job on stories throughout wide array of subjects utilized for the latest round of the McGraw Fellowships. Just about every profitable challenge receives funding up to $15,000. In addition to monetary backing, the McGraw Centre supplies Fellows with editorial direction and help in putting stories with media outlets.