The Philadelphia Company Journal is looking for a info reporter who will be a spreadsheet grasp with journalism chops to create on the newsroom’s solid legacy of making use of details to push necessary, unique business protection.
The data reporter is able to collect and assess authentic info on the industries, businesses and developments driving business selections in the metro Philadelphia area, and connect what they uncover utilizing both of those text and visual storytelling tactics.
The data reporter’s operate starts with building our proprietary Lists (ranked on collected details these types of as revenue and sq. footage, dependent on the record) but this individual will dig further, likely past the rankings to explain to tales substantial to our small business local community.
• Collects and analyzes enterprise and market info for Philadelphia Business enterprise Journal’s weekly sector Lists, employing surveys, community files and other related resources.
• On a regular basis stories stories based mostly on information from the Lists and other investigation tasks working with proper narrative and visual storytelling approaches.
• Experiences and writes four to six cover tales for our weekly paper each individual 12 months employing facts resources.
• Oversees the development of charts and infographics to illustrate study info conclusions, which include supplementing other reporters’ operate.
• Is effective along with reporters and editors on business assignments that contain or are pushed by data.
• Manages Philadelphia Small business Journal’s databases of regional firms.
Expertise and experience
• Really arranged: Able to juggle a number of initiatives in get to strike a variety of deadlines.
• Self-inspired: In a position to counsel and initiate new analysis initiatives — with advice from editors — then get hold of resources within the sector to develop surveys and organization databases.
• Attentive to depth: Able to stick to AP Fashion and format pointers on Lists, and produce surveys with distinct demands for respondents. Travel for 100% accuracy.
• Expert at data management, study approaches and computer system-assisted investigate and reporting methods, understanding how to composition and normalize huge info sets and databases.
• Potent information judgment with confirmed skill to discover high-effects stories in facts.
• Persistent: Willing and in a position to make multiple initiatives to comply with up with firm reps, especially all those on preceding year’s Lists, to get current details or if study responses feel odd or inconsistent.
• 2-5 several years as a journalist with a track report of reporting on facts these as the SEC or EDGAR, FDIC, the Census and the BLS.
• Philadelphia group expertise is a moreover.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
To utilize, go in this article.